It's never a bad idea to look for samples and idea boosters when writing a speech, and retirement speech examples are no exception. Have a look at the sample speech below, and then read the analyses at the bottom, where I've clarified some key points about the speech...
If you've got a retirement ceremony coming up, then you're probably thinking about the speech - and this is where I can help. Part the Retirement Speech Examples you'll find on this page, include a full-length individually researched and written sample speech, as well as some useful analyses and notes that'll help you identify that you need to include in you own speech.
And frankly, its time for some new blood in this place. Libraries are changing, our patrons are changing, and our world is changing. Although I like to think of myself as being highly adaptable and able to catch on to new technology and ideas quickly, I no longer have that burning desire for change. Im ready to let life wash over me instead of trying to constantly ride the wave.
Although Ive only been your head librarian for ten years, I like to think Ive made a decent impression. We so happily vacated our cramped quarters downtown for this amazing new facility. Weve gone mainstream by installing public computers and now were going digital with our new e-reader service. Those two changes alone are huge, but there have been countless others.
One thing that hasnt changed much is you, my wonderful staff. Its you that make this place work and youre the reasons our patrons love us. You do everything from keeping the books in the correct shelf order so people can locate them, to keeping the computers up and running. Although we are definitely using more and more technology, without people, that wonderful technology doesnt help anyone. Thank you for being such talented, dedicated and fun people to work with!
So today is not a day to be sad. Today is a day to welcome in a new era! Im really excited to go on my European bicycling trip! I promise Ill send chocolates! I am eager to start retirement and experience personal growth in all sorts of new ways. I just hope I dont grow too wide! You are eagerly awaiting the arrival of your new librarian and the changes inherent with a new administration. But its not like shes some complete stranger. You know Carol - shes just been away for awhile and now is back to take over. Shes bringing bucket loads of new ideas too. I know she will enjoy you as much as I have. And more importantly, I know you will be the same high quality staff for her as you were for me.
Sometimes retirements are sad affaires, especially when one of the parties isnt really ready for the change. That isnt the case with us though. This has been a mutual decision by all involved parties. I know youre a little sad to see me go. But you all know how much this change means to me and Im so thankful youre as excited about it as I am. Youre kicking me to the curb and were all thrilled!
Thank you again for coming! I know when theres free food yall never hesitate to show up! I just hope theres enough to go around! Lets enjoy today because we have enjoyed the past ten years. May God bless each and every one of us!
Retirement Speech Examples: Notes
(1) The Speech gives thanks - "I truly appreciate everyone coming". Starting (and permeating) your speech with thanksgiving is no cliché. Instead, it's necessary and when done from the heart will be appreciated by the recipient audience. If you're retiring, giving of thanks is naturally at the order of the day and the retirement speech is the perfect place for that.
(2) The Speech reflects on the past - "We so happily vacated our cramped quarters downtown". As it marks the end of an era, a retirement speech may reflect on some past highlights or key events and even allow for some nostalgia. It's a good way to bring about closure to a final chapter.
(3) The Speech honors co-workers - "Its you that make this place work and youre the reasons our patrons love us". Leave a good last impression by not focusing exclusively on you, but 'sharing the stage' and sharing your honor with your co-workers who have labored beside you.
(4) The Speech honors the successor - "But its not like shes some complete stranger. You know Carol". This is important and will surely be appreciated by whoever might be taking over from you. Honor your successor and 'pass the baton' in front of co-workers, it's a powerful gesture.
(5) The Speech is positive about the future - "Today is a day to welcome in a new era! Leave the gloomy and depressing thoughts at home. Instead be positive and uplifting in your estimation of your company's future.
(6) Like other retirement speech examples (see this page), this one uses humor wisely - "I know when theres free food yall never hesitate to show up! Humor is always appropriate, so don't be scared to include a few funny quotes or even a joke or two in your speech.
Retirement Speech Examples
It is so wonderful to see the turn out today. I truly appreciate everyone coming to my retirement party! Oh, when I just said the word retirement I suddenly felt so old!
Anyway, your presence means so much to me. Ive enjoyed my work here at the library, but honestly, its time for me to go. Im ready to move on to new adventures. Theres so much more I want to do! Theres a season for everything and my season at the library is over. Its time for a brand new season.