The first day I ever saw Gail was on a sweltering hot summers day, when my mother suggested I go for a swim in her friends pool over the road, while they had tea. We were both 7 years old and in those days, you would never catch Gail with a bikini top on, only the bottoms. Im sure Lance is relieved that she has stopped that habit. So there she was, lying topless by the side of the pool and while our moms were sipping tea, we got to know one another. I discovered she would be starting second grade at the same school as me and so I invited her to be my friend.
Maid of Honor Speech Examples are great tools for helping you with ideas as you prepare to write or give your own speech. The sample speech below contains many of the elements that a good maid of honor speech should have. Be sure to look at the notes below for a summary...
I have so much ammunition on you Gail [Bride] but for most of it, I have been sworn to secrecy. But everyone has their price, right? Im only kidding. I forget that you have just enough juicy stories about me too.
I also introduced her to my best friend at the time, Tonya and from then on, the three musketeers, as we were known, became inseparable. The rest of our childhood years were filled with slumber parties, afternoons swimming in Gails pool, where we scared Tonya with Jaws impersonations, and riding our bikes all over town, in pursuit of some kind of adventure.
We built forts on the hill opposite my house with our gang and lest I not forget, sitting in her moms car, pretending we were both Olivia Newton John and our boyfriends were both John Travolta and we were driving to Paris. Im pleased to say we did eventually see the real Paris together a few years ago and fortunately, we had made peace with not being Olivia Newton John.
And so childhood evolved into the dreaded puberty years. I think High School wasnt the best of times for both of us as we tried to navigate the transition into adulthood, each dealing with our own weird hang-ups and self esteem issues. Fortunately, our friendship remained in tact, despite our seeming lack of control over our hormones. And after High School, it seemed natural for us to continue together at the same university and funnily enough, we even ended up working together.
How do you condense 21 years of wonderful memories into a few minutes? Simply, it cannot be done. Our friendship has been filled with countless happy moments- times where we were doubled over with hysterical laughter, even when no-one could figure out what was so funny. There have also been sad, heart-wrenching moments in both our lives, where it seemed like happiness was gone forever, but owing much to the love and support of our friendship, hope was slowly restored.
Let me conclude with telling you about some of the awesome qualities that Gail has. I am sure that for most of you who know Gail, these are only confirming what you already know about her. She has the most generous and tender heart. I have witnessed this in the numerous times she nursed and cared for stray and injured animals- not to mention the animal funerals we had to conduct if any of them died. She has reached out with kindness and love to the poor and marginalized of society. She is fiercely loyal to those closest to her and I would really not want to be in your shoes, if you ever cross anyone that she loves. She is beautiful and intelligent, which Im sure was one of the initial reasons she caught Lances eye.
I also know she does not get swayed too easily and that Lance had his work cut out for him when he took on the challenge of making Gail his wife. But Lance, you have become her one true love and because of that, she will be yours forever, fighting for you to the end.
And so Gail and Lance, another chapter ends in your life and a new one begins. One that is exciting and scary at the same time and that will require patience, loyalty and plenty love, which I know Gail possesses in abundance. I wish you both a fruitful and joy-filled marriage, abounding in happy moments that lead to happy memories.
I would like to finish with a quote by Katherine Walden that I think sums up love perfectly:
The proof that you love someone is not that you have warm affectionate feelings toward them. The proof is in your actions, your words and your sacrifice, your willingness to give the best of yourself and your willingness to get nothing in return.
Maid of Honor Speech Examples: Notes
1) The Speech establishes the Maid of Honor's relationship with the Bride. Many guests at the wedding might not know you (the maid of honor), and have no idea how you relate to the bride. It's therefore a good idea to use a story, a part of your personal history, or something similar to help people understand how you know the bride and what level of friendship you have with her.
2) The Speech pokes mild fun at the bride. Like a best man speech, a maid of honor is allowed to have good-natured fun with the bride, within limits. It goes without saying that no one should make a bride feel or look silly/ridiculous on her wedding day - so sensitivity is needed.
3) The Speech recounts the best qualities of the bride. On her 'big day' its only natural and normal to praise the bride, recount her best and most selfless qualities and have the groom understand how exceptionally lucky he is to have such a wonderful women. The maid of honor speech is the ideal place to do this.
4) Like all good Maid of Honor Speech examples, this one honors the couple by wishing them a blessed and fruitful marriage.
5) The Speech ends with a quote. This is of course not necessary but adds a nice touch. If there's a certain piece of anecdotal advice you wish to leave the couple (or guests) with use it, but be careful not to sound too didactic or preachy.
If you're looking for more tips and advice on writing Wedding Speeches, as well as links to more Maid of Honor Speech Examples, then I highly recommend you sign up for my Getting Them Laughing mini E-course. It'll allow me to send you short and informative e-mails to help you as you prepare for your speech.